In this episode, we interviewed Dr. Julie Hallet. Dr. Hallet is a surgical oncologist at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, assistant professor at the University of Toronto, and associate scientist at the Sunnybrook Research Institute.
In this episode, we discussed the ins and outs of pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms (pNETs). We additionally cover her work with the Recovery After Surgical Therapy for Older Adults Research–Cancer (RESTORE-Cancer) Group and conclude with a brief discussion on patient engagement and outreach. Enjoy!
Papers referenced in the episode:
- Vinik AI, Woltering EA, Warner RR, Caplin M, O'Dorisio TM, Wiseman GA, Coppola D, Go VL; North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society (NANETS). NANETS consensus guidelines for the diagnosis of neuroendocrine tumor. Pancreas. 2010 Aug;39(6):713-34. doi: 10.1097/MPA.0b013e3181ebaffd. PMID: 20664471.
- Kulke MH, Anthony LB, Bushnell DL, de Herder WW, Goldsmith SJ, Klimstra DS, Marx SJ, Pasieka JL, Pommier RF, Yao JC, Jensen RT; North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society (NANETS). NANETS treatment guidelines: well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors of the stomach and pancreas. Pancreas. 2010 Aug;39(6):735-52. doi: 10.1097/MPA.0b013e3181ebb168. PMID: 20664472; PMCID: PMC3100728.
- Boudreaux JP, Klimstra DS, Hassan MM, Woltering EA, Jensen RT, Goldsmith SJ, Nutting C, Bushnell DL, Caplin ME, Yao JC; North American Neuroendocrine Tumor Society (NANETS). The NANETS consensus guideline for the diagnosis and management of neuroendocrine tumors: well-differentiated neuroendocrine tumors of the Jejunum, Ileum, Appendix, and Cecum. Pancreas. 2010 Aug;39(6):753-66. doi: 10.1097/MPA.0b013e3181ebb2a5. PMID: 20664473.
- Bennett S, Chesney T, Coburn N, Zuk V, Haas B, Zhao H, Hsu A, Mahar A, Hallet J; members of the REcovery after Surgical Therapy for Older adults Research – Cancer (RESTORE-Cancer) group*. Long-Term Dependency Outcomes in Older Adults Following Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Surgery for Cancer: A Population-Based Analysis. Ann Surg. 2021 Mar 22. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000004867. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33914463.
- Chesney TR, Coburn N, Mahar AL, Davis LE, Zuk V, Zhao H, Hsu AT, Wright F, Haas B, Hallet J; Recovery After Surgical Therapy for Older Adults Research–Cancer (RESTORE-Cancer) Group. All-Cause and Cancer-Specific Death of Older Adults Following Surgery for Cancer. JAMA Surg. 2021 Jul 1;156(7):e211425. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2021.1425. Epub 2021 Jul 14. PMID: 33978695; PMCID: PMC8117065.